Thursday, March 6, 2008

Week #7, Thing #17 - Library 2.0

I loved the California Curriculum page on the wiki. I will be returning to that wiki often to get ideas and maybe some day I will be clever enough to contribute something. I posted a comment in the Sandbox. I'm not quite sure how valuable the Sandbox idea is for a library or class especially if it can't be monitored. Also not sure of what the difference between the Sandbox and the Water Cooler is. I assume the Water Cooler is for questions and the Sandbox is for comments or random thoughts. However, I thought the California School Library Association 2007 Conference wiki was a great idea! I just wished I had known about it before I went to the conference. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it next year.
The tutorials about wikis were very educational. They answered a lot of questions I had and the instructions were very clear.

2 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Glad you liked our California 2.0 Curriculum Connections wiki. It has grown into a wonderful resource.

To answer your question about the difference between a sandbox and a water cooler -- a sandbox is for playing, experimenting, and gaining confidence on how easy it is to add things to a wiki. The water cooler is a place to ask questions or comment -- and to get answers. Whenever the wiki is added to in any way, the project manager has it set up to send an e-mail to Connie and Jackie. So if you were to establish a book club discussion wiki, you'd do the same -- set it up so you'd be alerted to activity on your wiki. You would know which students contributed what. Classroom teachers might assign students to contribute at least X times to a discussion, for example.

NHS Librarian said...

As part of Thing #7 I am supposed to comment on another person's blog andI was drawn to yours by your avatar! She is so fancy and very cool! I guess it is every librarian's dream to get to wear evening attire to work but between helping kids and shelving books, the dresses never look the same.

Your blog is great and addictive, keep up the hard work. I'm about 10 Things behind you but look forward to upcoming Things based on your comments.